Jobs at EdSource
EdSource Today is seeking an experienced and creative reporter with excellent writing skills. The ideal candidate has a flair for distilling complex topics into clear, compelling prose and a knack for uncovering the human-interest story from within a thicket of policy documents. EdSource Today is the leader in California education journalism and we're looking for a reporter who shares our passion for public education and coverage that is clear, accurate and authoritative.
EdSource Today is the journalism arm of EdSource, the highly regarded Oakland-based organization founded in 1977 to engage Californians on key education challenges. The successful applicant will be part of a growing team developing new ways to reach Californians on the multiple challenges affecting public education in California and nationally.
The editor of EdSource Today is veteran journalist John Fensterwald. EdSource is directed by Louis Freedberg, also a veteran California journalist.
EdSource Today is looking for a creative self-starter who is eager to explore new ways of covering issues in education. Qualifications sought include:
- Outstanding writing skills, with a minimum of two-years professional experience in daily journalism
- Eagerness to work as part of a growing team in a creative nonprofit journalism environment to build a unique service focused exclusively on education.
- Demonstrated track record using social media.
- Background in education reporting and children's issues preferable.
- Proven ability to work independently under deadline pressures, as well as working as part of a team.
- Multimedia skills, including data visualization skills, and data analysis and computer-assisted reporting skills are a plus.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Write lively and knowledgeable reports in a variety of styles and formats, including news, enterprise, analysis and in-depth stories for EdSource Today and for wider distribution to other news outlets;
- Participate in reporting projects encompassing the entire EdSource Today team;
- Maintain an active online presence, as well as develop new ways to build an audience.
A competitive salary will be paid commensurate with experience.
EdSource Today is the journalism arm of EdSource, a 35-year-old nonprofit, non-partisan education and research organization whose mission is to inform and engage policymakers and the public on key education challenges, with the goal of improving learning outcomes for all students.
Send a cover letter, resume, contact information for three references, and four clips or other examples of your work to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please write Reporter Position in the subject line. Materials can be sent by regular mail to: EdSource Today, Reporter position, 436 14th St. Suite. 723, Oakland, CA 94612. Deadline: 5 p.m. Jan 15. Interested applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as they are received.Download job description.
Senior Policy Analyst
This position is an opportunity to join an innovative and growing education organization that is developing new ways of communicating complex data and information about public education in California and nationally.
EdSource is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization founded in 1977 to provide timely, useful information to policymakers; advances awareness among the larger public on complex education issues; and highlights effective models and strategies intended to improve student outcomes. Policy and data analysis are key components of our work.
The Senior Policy Analyst at EdSource will: develop and frame research questions; analyze education policy within California, in other states, and in other countries as needed; conduct quantitative and qualitative data analysis; develop appropriate graphs, charts, tables, and other visual representations of data; write reports, briefs, factsheets, and other documents as needed for print and web based distribution; and assist in grant writing as needed. The analyst, working closely with the executive director, will also help build relationships with key organizations in the field, make presentations, represent EdSource as needed, and work as part of the EdSource team.
Because EdSource's mission is to advance understanding of complex educational issues among policymakers, key stakeholders, and the general public, the Policy/Data Analyst must be able to communicate, both verbally and in written form, in a clear, concise, easy to understand manner.
Specific types of knowledge, skill and experience required:
- Graduate degree (Master's or Ph.D.) and several years of experience in education policy or a related field.
- Experience in conducting quantitative and qualitative research and experience in analyzing state and national databases.
- Proficiency in SPSS, SAS or related statistical application.
- Excellent writing skills, with the ability to communicate complex issues clearly and succinctly.
- Ability to develop, initiate and conduct work independently and efficiently on concurrent projects.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with internal staff and outside contractors.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
Salary commensurate with experience plus a competitive benefits package.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and three examples of your work to email@example.com, with Senior Policy Analyst in the subject line. Applications will be considered as they are received but preferably before November 30, 2013.
EdSource is an equal opportunity employer.Download job description.