Session IV: View From the Top: New State Education Policy Leadership
Tom Torlakson was elected this past November as California’s new Superintendent of Public Instruction. He takes over the leadership of the California Department of Education at the same time that California has a newly elected Governor (Jerry Brown) who recently replaced the majority of members on the State Board of Education. What changes can K–12 educators and stakeholders expect in state education policy and priorities? How do these leaders hope to strengthen the state’s public school system in a time of increasingly scarce resources?Tom Torlakson, State Superintendent of Public Instruction
If video is not displaying, download the Flash Player. Video recording and hosting by KETN.
If a slow network connection makes it difficult for you to view this video, try viewing the low-resolution version.
Other Forum Links:
The 2011 Forum included the following sessions:
- Introduction: Setting the Stage (Forum moderator Carl Cohn)
- Session #1: California's Fiscal Crisis and its Impact on K-12 Education and Community Colleges
- Session #2: California's New Common Core K-12 Academic Standards
- Session #3: Next Generation Learning and Technology
- Session #4: View From the Top: New State Education Policy Leadership
- Closing: Farewell from Trish Williams