Reality Check: Education Budget Projections, Proposals, & Opportunities
- Presenter: Elizabeth Hill, California Legislative Analyst, explains the governor's proposed budget cuts as well as the LAO's own counter proposals and projections. She also answers audience questions.
In addition to this discussion, the Forum included the following sessions:
- Click here to see Elizabeth Hill's presentation slides.
Resources Related to 2008-09 Budget Data:
California's Education Budget
- Budget and Funding
This impartial analysis describes Gov. Schwarzenegger's proposed budget for 2008-09 and outlines the immediate impacts it is expected to have on California school districts. It also links to the Legislative Analyst's Office analyses of the budget.
- Finance System
This section describes how the state's education system is funded, including revenues, allocations, and expenditures. It provides a history of California school finance.
- School Finance Highlights 2007-08
This two-page summary focuses on the money budgeted for schools in the 2007-08 fiscal year, including challenges facing districts and the state as well as funding projections in the near future.
- California Department of Finance
The DOF posts the state budget and other official documents.
- Legislative Analyst's Office
The nonpartisan Legislative Analyst's Office provides annual analyses of budget proposals and final decisions, and this year has released an alternative proposal for the K-14 budget.
Click here to find substantive background resources related to all the topics discussed at the 2008 Forum.
Other Forum Links:
Click here to go to the main Forum page.