May 23rd, 2013
With one in three U.S. children overweight or obese – and an even higher percentage of children in California – the Institute of Medicine is asking schools to step up …
May 21st, 2013
U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan appeared today before the House Education and Workforce Committee to promote what he called the "centerpiece" of the administration's 2014 education budget proposal...
May 20th, 2013
Gov. Jerry Brown's call to create regional consortia of school districts and community colleges to administer adult education programs starting in 2015-16 is meeting resistance from education leaders in the Assembly …
May 15th, 2013
Los Angeles Unified is the first district in the state to stop suspending students for "willful defiance" – a subjective category that accounts for 54 percent of suspensions and a quarter of all expulsions across the state …
May 13th, 2013
Kindergarten "redshirting," when parents keep a child eligible to start kindergarten out of school for an extra year, is not as prevalent as previously believed, a new study suggests …
- Student loan interest rates could spike under House bill
- Assembly adds its version of school finance reform to the mix
- San Jose teachers, board adopt landmark teacher evaluation system
- Evolving from professional development to professional learning
- As legislators debate adult ed proposal, Oakland reinstates its program
© 2013 EdSource. All Rights Reserved.